Sunday, August 12, 2012

A New Home

Welcome to my new home. I say this because back in 2009 I began a little blog called Teal Sunshine that tracked my big life move from California to DC as I began graduate school in architecture. It was my first blogging experience, and I was a little nervous at first as I remembered when I applied to a summer writing/literature course I was mortified when one of my Georgetown professors quoted to me part of his recommendation: "Lauren is not a great writer, but she's a good writer." While I would learn later that summer when comparing creative writing samples with my peers that his comment was definitely true, years later I realize, I don't care. I like to write. Even if it's just for my two readers (i.e. my parents) who will probably read this blog.

I wanted to start a new blog as I am similarly beginning a new chapter in my life. The "blonde adventures in the District (of Columbia)" - my Teal Sunshine sub-line - have ended. Moving back out to California and finding a new place literally 4 blocks from my old apartment in Santa Monica is amazing and weird at the same time. Restarting where I left off? Coming home? Everything is the same but different. I hope you will follow me on this journey - it should be fun.

And as for my new title... Inspired by one of my favorite things from Santa Monica:  Jason Bentley's Morning Becomes Eclectic show on KCRW,  and well, for anyone who knows me, I don't think I could find a better way to describe myself. The first comments I received from peers AND teachers when I found out I was going to give a commencement speech at graduation was "oh my gosh, you are going to be standing up there in front of everyone and turn beet red!" So yeah. It's pretty fitting. Mom and Dad, and whoever else who reads this, I hope you guys enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. hey look! you have a third reader! ;-) can't wait to see what you do to your apartment (and i'll vicariously live the LA life through you!)

    ReplyDelete